"When our feet hurt, we hurt all over" Socrates
Clinical Reflexology is a non-invasive treatment which helps the body to re-balance by beginning its own healing process and bringing about a state of homeostasis. It works on the principle that different points, or reflexes on the feet, correspond to internal organs and other structures of the body. By having the whole body represented in the feet, reflexologists believe that manipulating these areas allows not only symptoms to be treated but also the causes of symptoms.
The method has been used for several thousands of years and is known to have been practised in a similar manner by the Chinese and the Egyptians.
Benefits of Reflexology:
- Relaxation - Reflexology can be a deeply relaxing therapy and a reason in itself for having a session
- Improves General Well-Being - Reflexology is a holistic therapy which aims to balance the whole body and help is work as effectively as possible thus promoting health and preventing disease
- Stress Reduction - Reflexology helps to relax and re-balance the body, it also allows you to have some time to yourself
- Reduces Tension - Reflexology can relax and reduce tension in the feet which in turn reduces tension throughout the whole body
- Promotes healthy sleep
- Calms the mind
- Improves circulation in the feet and legs and boosts the entire body
- Assists in he detoxification process
- Can help strengthen the immune system
- May help to improve energy levels
- Restores equilibrium through the body
Reflexology is used widely in cancer and palliative care, especially for relaxation, stress relief and wellbeing. Reflexology treatment can be adapted and integrated with conventional medical care to help support the individual needs of the client. Research has shown cancer patients who receive reflexology show significant improvements in their physical and emotional symptoms.
Reflexology Lymphatic Drainage (RLD) is an award winning reflexology technique which focuses on stimulating the lymphatic reflexes on the feet. The aim is to cause an effect on the lymphatic system in the body. It is a unique sequence that has been researched and developed by Sally Kay, whilst working in Cancer Care.
RLD is an effective treatment for any inflammation in the body, especially for:
- Sinus problems
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- ME (chronic fatigue syndrome/CFS)
- Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia
RLD is not suitable for clients with deep vein thrombosis (DVT), kidney failure and cellulitis.
Maternity Reflexology is specifically adapted for pregnancy and beyond. Reflexology for maternity aims to optimise the health and wellbeing of clients, using reflexology techniques designed for different stages and also an awareness of general lifestyle advice that can be given to make this journey as pleasurable as possible for all.
- General advice for the three trimesters of pregnancy
- Contra-indications and cautions
- Reflexology treatment plans for the three trimesters of pregnancy
- Endocrine calming and lymphatic drainage
- Reflexology techniques for common symptoms including: nausea, vomiting and heartburn, constipation, Pelvic Girdle Pain etc
- Reflexology for inducing Labour
- Reflexology during birth
- Reflexology for Post-natal mums
The Fertility therapy can be applied as a stand-alone treatment to support natural conception or alongside fertility treatment. It is a specialist protocol that has been pioneered and carefully developed by Barbara Scott for over 20 years. Infertility is on the increase due to many reasons such as, stress, diet, being over/under weight, emotional/psychological reasons, sleep deprivation, environmental issues etc.
Reproflexology for Natural Conception
Different protocols are used depending on the week of your cycle and/or fertility issues arising in both men and women.
Reproflexology can be of massive benefit when it comes to fertility as it can:
- Regulate the menstrual cycle
- Balancing the endocrine (hormone) system
- Encourage and stimulate ovulation
- Provide relief from symptoms including PMS, PCOS, endometriosis, ovarian cysts etc.
- Support implantation
- Improve sperm count, motility and general sperm/egg quality
- Promote deep relaxation
- Reduce stress and tension
- Bring about balance to all the body systems
- Provide emotional support
- General preparation for pregnancy
Reflexology for Labour
Reflexology has been shown to help induce labour and reduce pain during childbirth.
The days leading to childbirth can be quite stressful and often the doctor has given mum a date for the arrival of her little one and if she is over that date, mum can get stressed…it is important to remember that reflexology is a complementary treatment, not a magic fix, and if mum and/or baby are not ready then reflexology alone isn’t necessarily going to encourage them on. But, if the time is right, it could be just the thing your body needs to get things going!
This is where reflexology comes into play as it is not only a great tool to relax and calm mum but an extremely effective treatment to accelerate the onset of labour. It works on specific endocrine points of the feet such as; the pituitary gland, the pineal body, the thyroid and thymus glands, along with the pancreas and the ovaries to help labour along.
Treatments needed will vary…If the client has been having reflexology all the way through her pregnancy then the process of inducing labour might be easier. A one-off treatment will rarely bring labour along but in my experience it certainly helps the baby “drop”, several treatments close together would be the most beneficial.
The Menopause is a natural change in the female reproductive system that normally occurs between the ages of 41 and 55, although perimenopausal symptoms may occur earlier. It is the process in a woman’s body when the ovaries stop producing the hormones oestrogen and progesterone.
The body then reacts to the loss of hormones through several varying symptoms, such as:
- hot flushes/night sweats
- weight gain
- mood swings
- poor concentration
- memory lapses
- irregular periods with heavy bleeding
Reflexology is a wonderful treatment for aiding our journey through perimenopause, menopause and beyond. Reflexology will help to reduce the stress that can cause a lot of these symptoms, achieved by working to balance the Endocrine System. As a lady enjoying the second half of her life more than the first, I’m here to support you, provide relaxation, offer lifestyle advice whether holistic or allopathic and to help you find your zest for life as I did!
I would encourage the Five Pillars of Menopause;
- sleep - how can you achieve your 8 hours?
- exercise - weight-bearing, strength, flexibility, aerobic and balancing
- relaxation - deep relaxation allows the body to heal and repair
- diet - which foods will optimise your health?
- purpose - find your flow!
Hot Stones are a luxury reflexology treatment and are used throughout the treatment. The hot stones will be worked along the leg to the knee and foot making it more of a spa-like experience. The heat from the stones quickly open the reflex pathways bringing about a much deeper level of relaxation than reflexology alone. The stones may also be used on areas that may appear tender or congested. Benefits of Hot Stone Reflexology are similar to clinical reflexology although the heat allowing for a deeper and intensive treatment.
Zone Face Lift and Bergman Method Facial Reflexology are officially award winning Therapies!
I’m honoured to have trained with award-winning Ziggie Bergman, pioneer in modern Facial Reflexology and facialist to Royalty and A-list Celebrities. This incredible Bergman Method has been developed over 20 years and uses a combination of traditional reflexology, Native American techniques and Asian body maps.
The benefits of Facial Reflexology are similar to those of any other reflexology treatment…aims to relax and alleviate stress by assisting the body to heal and rebalance itself. During facial reflexology, gentle pressure is applied to the different reflex zones and reflexology points on the face whilst using an organic facial oil. It is believed these points directly relate to areas of the body. Facial reflexology encourages a healthy blood and lymph flow and stimulates collagen and elastin, therefore, helping your skin to rejuvenate and minimize the appearance of ageing lines.
The face provides a beautiful and precise tool to read what is going on within the body's internal organs, central nervous system and neuro-biological system. A facial reflexology tool is applied to the face to gently balance, followed by lymphatic drainage massage movements and specific Facial Reflexology reflex points to achieve a sense of peace and harmony.
Discover the benefits:
- promotes the production of new skin tissue
- Leaves the skin looking radiant
- Relieves tension in the facial muscles
- Relieves mental strain and improves circulation
- Helps relieve headaches and sinus congestion
This 30 min minute protocol would ideally be used as a standalone de-stress treatment or can be added to other treatments such as 30min foot reflexology or 30min facial cupping.
Advanced Facial Reflexology, is similar to facial reflexology but a much longer treatment working on all the reflexes of the body to bring about a state of homeostasis…a natural balance of the body whereby the body systems are working together harmoniously.
Facial reflexology is very effective in improving lymphatic drainage by encouraging the elimination of toxins, and relieving muscle tension, headaches, migraines and sinusitis.
Worry, stress, fear and grief can all place undue pressure on the muscles of our face and consequently over time can result in deep lines and creases. Facial reflexology (as does Facial Cupping) can help to release this built up tension and negative emotions resulting in a plumper, firmer and more radiant skin tone. It can be particularly useful for people suffering with neurological conditions, as we’ll be working directly with the face and central nervous system.
Facial cupping is much more than a beauty treatment. Not only does it relax facial tension and provide lymphatic drainage, it also helps alleviate physical imbalances that manifest in our face.
Facial cupping has been around for centuries in Eastern traditions as well as Native American cultures. It is an incredibly relaxing treatment which stimulates and tones the muscles and increases blood flow. This process stimulates the production of elastin and collagen which plump and tighten the structure of the face. The lymphatic drainage element removes puffiness and helps to clear the skin. It can also reduce the appearance of pigmentation, producing a more even skin tone after a few treatments. You can often see or feel a difference after having one treatment, for maximum benefit and longer lasting effects regular treatments are recommended.
Facial cupping is great for boosting the skin and for ageing well. It can be a standalone 30 min treatment or added onto 30 min Facial Reflexology or Foot Reflexology or Zone Face Lift session for maximum impact.
What does the treatment entail?
This involves lying flat on the bed ideally wearing a wide-necked top so I can access and apply oil to your face and neck as needed. The treatment involves opening relaxation moves followed by cleansing your face using a Neal Yard cleanser and hot towel then the application of zone face lift elixir or grapeseed oil if required. Medium and small cups are used to gently suction and glide over the skin following the contours of your face, neck and décolletage as appropriate.
The facial cups are made of soft silicone and so the treatment should be relaxing and pain free. Skin may begin to feel warm during the treatment and tension in the face relaxes. Most clients find the treatment very soothing and see a difference immediately after their session. There should not be any bruising however occasionally this may happen and in this case arnica cream can be applied.
Health benefits of cupping involve improving…
- Sinus congestion and Hay fever
- Facial paralysis/Bells Palsy
Facial cupping encourages lymphatic drainage and help to sculpt and contour the face and neck:
- reduces fine line and wrinkles
- firms and tones the skin and underlying muscles
- helps reduce pore size
- can lessen pigmentation
- encourages collagen and elastin production
- increases blood circulation
- promotes clear skin and gives a plump healthy glow
Facial cupping cannot be performed if you have had Botox or Fillers (within 3 weeks of procedure)
Not recommended if on blood thinners, open wounds, multiple moles, very thin skin, very sensitive skin, any infection or contagious issue on head, neck or face such as cold sores, cystic acne or rosacea
Zone Face Lift (ZFL)
This fabulous new facial has been hailed by many as a credible alternative to Botox and akin to a “thread facelift”. A luxury 75 mins facial unlike any you have ever had! This treatment has been renowned to remove as much as 10 years over a 12-week programme.
Ziggie is the the creator of this award-winning treatment which combines facial reflexology and ancient healing techniques from Native American shamans.
ZFL comprises of;
- Full facial using hot towels & Neal’s Yard products
- De-stress facial reflexology whilst using the award winning zone face lift elixir
- Manual facial lifting techniques
- Jade Gua Sha tool for sculpting & lifting
- Rose Quartz crystals
- Facial roller
- Facial cupping
- Sage smudge (optional) to clear negative energies
Benefits of ZFL;
- Tightens, plumps, sculpts the face, jaw & neckline
- Naturally stimulates collagen & elastin
- Reduces dark circles and puffiness under the eyes
- Reduces lines and wrinkles
- Helps reduce pigmentation
- Improvement in skin tone
- Calming and uplifting with evidence to support it lifting the mood, reducing anxiety & stress